Welcome!

Hello, my name is Liz Benjeddi - welcome to my blog! This blog is to share any textile work that I complete that is not llinked to my City and Guilds course. Please feel free to send me any feedback or comments!

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Experiments with Patchwork and Silk

This blog is to share any other textile work that I have completed that is not connected to my City and Guilds course.


Arabian Nights in the Log Cabin...

I was experimenting with traditional patchwork techniques that could be mixed with other techniques and cultures. I have a little bit of an obsession with very brightly coloured silk and rich textures, so tried making a cushion cover that mixes the traditional technique of log cabin patchwork/quilting with Arabic colours and embellishment. The centre panel is covered with gold, lacy fabric and the gold flowers are machine embroidered over a flower stamp.



A close up of the centre of the cushion cover



Crazy Patchwork

This was my attempt at crazy patchwork, which started out by using a monochromatic colour scheme, but ended up with other colours creeping in!


I found that started with an irregular shape in the centre, with an odd number of sides made this a little easier, although it was much more difficult than I imagined it would be!

Post and Rail Experiment

Back  to the brightly coloured silk again, but this time in autumnal colours, and embellished with gold braid and automatic machine stitching in gold. This was quite tricky to sew, as it was difficult to get all the strips exactly the same size and to match up the seams, but I got there in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment